Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Bridge Run 2010

Part of our HCC program was to complete the 2010 Cooper River 10K Bridge Run!  I did it!!!  I am very proud that this completed my total commitment to the program, and, most of all, to myself.  My goal was to run a mile and power walk the second one.  Well guess what!!  I ran the entire 10K, with the exception of the short incline going up the bridge (one Porta-Potty break).  Officially, I did this run in 1 hour, 44 minutes, but if I were knock off about 15 minutes for the potty break that makes it somewhere around 1.5 hours.  I am very proud to have finished.  The first time I did the bridge run I walked it with my husband and it took us almost 3 hours.  I was so out of shape.  Thanks again to my trainer, Laurie, for preparing me for this.  Thank you to all my instructors and coach Marty again.  I know listening to you is what got me in shape to do this.   I wish I had a little more African in me since the Kenya man did it in 27 minutes.....I am still happy with my number. 


On the back of my T-Shirt ( Bridge Run shirt. Cute huh)

Laurie sent me an email the day before the race, encouraging me, which I thought was so nice.  She always told me to fix my mind on something.  So I ran for so many people...    ...my mother who would be so proud of me I can hear her yelling for me...    ...my dad who is recovering from a pretty serious surgery...       ...my youngest sister who has struggled with a disability and is helping him now....     ...my sister who will be taking radiation soon...     ...all my family, who I love dearly.  I could hear my kids say "Mom, you can do this!"  I know they were proud.  I would text my miles to all my family and some friends along the way.  I did not stop.  My last mile I had to pray.  I felt like slowing down a little and when I did I felt a little dizzy and talked myself out of passing out.  The mind is a wonderful thing.  All I wanted to see is Ben's face at the end of this run, because he is the consistent and stable one who is always there at the end of the day.  I feel like a true athlete now.  I put my mind to it, and I did it.  I thought of and now appreciate all the years of hard work that young athletes dedicate themselves to who compete for the olympics.


In preparation for the bridge, I loaded up with wheat pasta and protein about  three days prior.  I actually spent the night with my friends in Mt. Pleasant.  Pam made wheat pasta with veggies...since she knows I don't eat hamburger meat.  It was delicious!  We had fun the night before playing cards and sipping a little homemade wine.  I stayed up too late, but somehow I felt rested.  I had to put on about 4 pounds since the challenge however, split between muscle and that pasta.  I also have a little swelling, so give me a little break.  I am not unhappy about that because I needed the fuel and calories to do the bridge run.  I have a goal to  lose 10 pounds over the next 6 weeks.  So I am sorry friends, I will still be at the gym for a busy workout routine.  I promise that in May, I will have a little more time to play with you.

Stay tuned.  I will be posting more photos I have collected along the way.  (I have some nice ones from Silva's Zumba class, which I was so happy to be able to attend on Thursday nights now.  I am sorry that I won't be blogging every day now, but please check back in a few days.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Mom! You look hot in your little shorts. I thought you said you lost your boobs. lol. I wish I had your body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats little sister, and i do not mean your age.

    ReplyDelete