Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Hips Don't Lie! Shakira! Shakira!

I went to the group class at the wellness center today.  Something different.  The name of the class sounded interesting, so I thought I'd give it a try.  Zumba (A Sexy, Fierce Aerobics Class).  Ladies, if you want to get a good workout and have F-U-N at the same time, then this is the one!  We shake more hips and tummy than you want to know about!   They even passed out the (belly dance) skirts to a few members of the class. They don't know that I have one at home and it will be with me next week. (I forgot to tell you that I am a closet belly dancer.)  We danced to Shakira,  the Slum Dog Millionaire soundtrack,  Latin music and hip-hop, to name a few.   I love to dance!  I felt young again!  I felt happy!  Really happy!  Next week,  I will have the grey out of my hair and my skirt on.  Everyone says that I am looking younger.  My face has slimmed down a lot.  I  may even take a photo for you with me in my shirt. (photo of my skirt above).  I will be back to this class every Tuesday at 12 noon, so don't call or text me.  I will be DANCING!

Aquatics - I have gone two nights in a row and, I've got to tell you, we never stopped!  We don't have a single minute to spare or take a rest stop.  We just keep moving.  We run.  We jump.  We do lunges.  Our instructor, Marty, never stops.  He barks (literally).  He watches your posture and execution like a hawk.  He helps you if you are doing it wrong, and stands in front of you and shows you the correct form (in a friendly energized way).  Wow!  Other men and women seem to enjoy his class also.  It was bittersweet because I found myself thinking about the aquatic aerobics team I left in West Ashley when I enrolled in HCC.   I really miss them!  (At this moment, I am trying not to cry.)

Thank you to my mentor, Beth, who continues to support me on our non-team group workouts.  I know she enjoyed the class too.

Ah-Ha! Moment -- Exercise can be fun and work at the same time!  Stay tuned....

1 comment:

  1. Gina,

    I'm continuing to enjoy your blog; you are too funny! I am drawing inspiration and look forward to starting my program here in Toledo. The mention of your aquatics class just reminded me of our summer days spent at the Scott Park and Rec Center pools; those were the days weren't they?! Boy, if only I could look like I did then in a bathing suit! Keep up the good work my sister-friend!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete