Friday, January 29, 2010

Keep Moving!

Today I woke up with a sore neck.  Not too good of a feeling.  I am going to have to have to get a free massage from Ben, but don't tell he is really bad at massages.  (I am laughing because he knew I would say that, I am sure he is reading this.)  I will have to check the gym and make an appointment for a real massage, which is avalible for all HCC members at a small fee.  I think I strained my neck doing sit-ups.  I may not have been breathing properly.  Hopefully this goes away soon.  As the night goes on, it seem to be getting better. 

Well my story tonight is about my friend Cynthia.  We grew up together on the same street since grade school, so we have been friends for 45 years.  She brought back some fine memories sending me a message on my blog.        ...A group of us in the neighborhood walked to a local swimming pool -- maybe a little over a mile away, one way.  We walked everyday, unless it was pouring down rain.  We would swim and play at least 4 hours, and then come home for dinner.  We were always greeted with good old homemade meals.  My mom had a vegetable garden in the back yard.  We also have grape vines, fruit trees and even rootbar.  We ate healthy and played outside from morning to dawn.  Those were the days when electronics and technology would not keep you in the house.  (Try telling these kids today to go outside and play.)  We were the total opposites of kids today.  We stomped and pouted when we had to come inside.  My friends it was the days of the Beatles, rock and roll, peace and love.  (We were young hippies without the drugs.)  I had a yellow bikini  that I loved.  In fact, I prided myself by keeping it and wearing it after having my children. 

It's good to look back and reflect on the good old days and try to bring some of those days back.  I am learning from our class on Thursday at HCC that we are made to keep moving.  Inactivity has been a major cause of many of our weight gains.  We stopped playing outside.  My goal is to think of a reason to do an outside, fun activity each week.  Walking to the gym at the Wellness Center or walking at a one of Charleston's beautiful parks or on the bridge.  It will be a my Zumba class this week.  I would love to take ballroom dancing once I can fit in my dresses.   I also would love to plant a little garden of veggies this spring.  Thank you Cynthia for reminding me about the good times (maybe not in a string bikini, though!) 

Tomorrow I'll be going to the Wellness Center in the afternoon for a class. (It's suppose to rain, so we are not walking the bridge this week.)  Hey want to have a healthy pizza tomorrow with me?  I have to share this recipe with you that I made up using the skills that I am learning...    ...so stay tuned.  I even took photo's of it.  I think I just realized that I'm a Rachel Ray wannabe.

1 comment:

  1. Aw Gina, thanks; how nice of you to write about me and our times together growing up. Those were indeed the days, when almost every family in the neighborhood had a backyard garden, enabling our families to eat healthfully; not to mention the exercise involved with planting, weeding and picking. Gotta get back to that, along with "playing" outside like we used to! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete