Saturday, January 30, 2010

Rainy Saturday

Well, as you know, I have a little neck injury.  I woke up this morning, early as always, but decided to lay in bed and listen to the rain and relax.  I did not feel guilty at all, mainly because I was in pain.   Finally I got up, ate breakfast, and popped a couple of Advil, hoping for relief.  By noon, I was ready for class.  I talked to the trainers and physical therapist (PT) in my class and they all agreed that I should put ice on it today, and follow with heat compresses tomorrow.   They were very helpful.  My team member, Julia, the physical therapist gave me a massage and showed me some gentle neck exercises.  I really appreciate her help!   After class, Julia, Charles and Kim stayed a little longer to discuss food and challenges.  We were all very encouraging to each other.  We are really becoming more cohesive  as team, looking out for one another.

Now today, I will share my pizza recipe.  Sorry I am a little late posting it.  I had to take a nap after an hour class and additional 1 hour on the elliptical.  My nap was a power hour.  Love it in the rain.

I showed this recipe to the nutritionist and got the ok.......My last one, the turkey chili, I might mention that you need to watch the sodium content in that recipe.  I use everything low sodium, even the chili mix.  We really watch our sodium intake because, as you know, it causes water retention.

You can vary this to your taste..... I use the following for making my favorite - pizza:

  • You start off with Multi-Grain Sandwich Thins.  I use the ones made by Arnold Select (no high fructose corn syrup) and found them in the bakery section at Harris Teeter.  They are like a thin, flat mini-bun.  The whole bun is only a 100 calories.
  • Then I add Bruschetta to the Sandwich Thins as a sauce.  I just use the store-brand, HT Traders Bruschetta.  Low in sodium and it has chunks of tomatoes (good antioxidants).  Less than 1g of sugar and only 25 calories
  • Saute your veggies.  Green and red bell peppers, onions, garlic, and spinach in a tablespoon of olive oil.
  • Brown some ground turkey.  Season to taste.  Be careful because the the veggies and olive oil give a lot of flavor
  • Top it off with shredded mozzarella, made with skim milk 2%.  You may want to wait till the end to add your cheese.  I put more cheese for hubby (put less than the photo for less calories).  I used a very small amount of cheese on mine.
  • Layer sauce, then meat, all of the veggies and bake in a 400 degree oven until the bread is crunchy (use a thin layer of sauce or it will make bread mushy).
Yummy!! Add a spinach salad and you got a meal.

Total calories: 300 according to sparkpeople.com calorie tracker.


Have a good weekend!!  I've got to go relax my neck, study, and get ready for tomorrow.  Aleve, anyone?

1 comment:

  1. The pizza recipe sounds delicious; I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete